Vanilla + Pear + Maple Breakfast Muffins
by Michelle Gerrard | Guest Contributor
The Goods //
- 1 cup Gluten Free Flour Blend of choice
- ½ cup Almond flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Pinch of salt
- 2 flax eggs (1 Tablespoon ground flax mixed with 3 tablespoons warm water = 1 flax egg)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vanilla extract or powder
- 1 tablespoon Orange Zest
- 1 cup Maple Valley organic maple sugar
- 1 teaspoon Maca
- 4 tablespoons vegan butter melted with two tablespoons Maple Valley organic maple syrup
- 1/4 cup Coconut Oil
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 large ripe pears, thinly sliced
- 1 pear cubed for caramelizing
- Optional – Granulated maple sugar, for sprinkling, Chocolate Chips
Get Cooking //
Preheat the oven to 365 degrees F.
In a medium sauté pan heat a tablespoon of vegan butter in a pan add your cubed pears and maple syrup. Cook until caramely and aromatic.
In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, almond meal baking powder, nutmeg, maca and salt. Set aside.
In another bowl, mix together the flax eggs, vanilla, zest, maple sugar, butter, oil, and applesauce until well combined. Fold the wet ingredients into the dry until just combined; do not overmix. If adding chocolate chips do so now.
Distribute the batter into a well-oiled muffin tin. Stick three thin slices of pear directly into the top of the muffin batter. Sprinkle granulated maple sugar and a drizzle of maple syrup onto the muffins, if desired.
Bake for 20 minutes, or until the muffin tops are lightly browned and bounce back to the touch.
Serve hot or at room temperature. Enjoy!
Michelle Gerrard is the author of The Vibrant Kitchen, Bruised Fruit and Untamed.
@michelle.nicole.gerrard | the-vibrant-kitchen.com