Sweet strawberries and tart rhubarb complement each other in this Maple Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp. And it’s sweetened using maple syrup (no granulated sugar!) and topped with a crunchy oatmeal topping!
- 1 cup oatmeal
- 2/3 cup flour
- 3 Tablespoons Maple Valley Cooperative maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3 1/2 cups rhubarb, in 1/2-inch thick slices
- 3 1/2 cups (about 1 pound) strawberries, hulled and sliced if big, halved if small
- 1/2 cup Maple Valley Cooperative maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup instant (or quick) tapioca
To make topping, combine oatmeal, flour and cinnamon. Cut in butter with a fork or pastry blender until it resembles sandy crumbs. Gradually drizzle in maple syrup, stirring continuously so it evenly distributes.
Combine fruit filling ingredients in a separate bowl, then pour into 8 x 8 pan. Scatter topping over filling.
Bake at 350 for approximately 45 minutes. Filling should bubble up around pan sides when done.
Let sit for 30-60 minutes to allow filling to cool slightly and gel. Top with ice cream.